A question we get almost every time we share our news...
Our choices for selecting Ethiopia for our international adoption are multiple and I can't really say that one reason was more significant then the other. The reasons just all seemed to add up together and made sense for our family. So, in no particular order, our reasons for selecting Ethiopia are:
* Children receive exceptional care in the orphanages and are generally very healthy.
* On the international adoption scale, Ethiopia is one of the least expensive country to adopt from (not that we would ever want to put a price on this journey - but the reality is that the money has to come from somewhere).
* Canada/Manitoba has a very established adoption program in Ethiopia - the process is next to seamless and very well organized.
* There is a large network of families in Manitoba who have adopted from Ethiopia to connect with.
* Ethiopia has one of the shortest waiting times for being matched with a child and bringing a child home (about 12 months in total).
* Ethiopia has the youngest children available for adoption (as young as a couple months).
* The race of our child was not important to us (well, it is important, but you know what I mean) - being parents and completing our family is (and always has been) our priority.