Wednesday, September 08, 2010

A laugh at my expense

A couple weeks ago I was at a week long training session. There were about 20 people in the training with me, of whom most I did not know. The room that we were in had one side full of floor-to-ceiling panel windows ,with the last window being the door out to the reception area. One the first day, at the first break, I decided to top my tea up with hot water. I headed straight for the door, full force, full speed, on a mission, no one could stop me...

BANG BOOM KUBONG SMACK KIRPLUNK SPLASH...

I walked straight into the window (next to the door). It was the loudest sound I think I have ever heard and I had 20 sets of eyes starring at me - I didn't do any damage to anyone or anything, besides my ego, but there was tea running all the way down the window and my head had a little buzz-on for about 30 minutes afterward.

All I could do was laugh at myself - what else could I do? I was so embarrassed. Everyone kept asking if I was OK, while trying to hold back their own laughter. And once everyone confirmed that I was indeed OK, they all erupted, taking their cues from my laughter. It was a pleasure to add a bit of comic relief to the week and to your day! Besides, if you can't laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at?

8 comments:

Lavonne said...

ahahahaha. love it!

Sharla said...

at least you can laugh at yourself!

Anna said...

That's hilarious! Great picture, too!!
Anna

Connie said...

If I can't laugh at myself, I can laugh at my son! He did the exact same thing last weekend at a hotel we were staying at. He was tearing down the hallway full speed ahead and there was a glass wall at the end of the hallway. From a distance it looked like he was still a ways away from it and I thought was going to turn the corner when he reached it. All of a sudden CRASH, BANG... and then loud screaming and tears! Oh, my poor baby. I think his ego was hurt too.

Ramona said...

Ok First I laughed at your story and then Connie's and have to add one about my Paulos. He's ran- all out RAN in the lobby of our library (with me saying "walking only) to hit the button for the automatic door opener- only to aim for the one between the 2 sets of doors and ran into the glass window beside the door so hard it left a "face squish oily" mark and knocked him to the ground. He was the angriest when his sister hit the button and opened the door before he could get back up... Well, the next week, he was going to get the button and open the door. So, with me saying walking only and watch out for the window, he runs smack into the window AGAIN, leaving his forehead print only this time... We requested the library put something on the window so kids know it is there, so the next week did, but it was above his forehead mark (which was still there or someone else had done the same thing)and it is way too high for a little person to see and be warned... For now I make him walk holding my hand when we leave the library!
Ramona

Janice said...

It's so not funny but so funny!

Been there done that... At a gift shop in a hotel in Fiji. I leaned in to check out some jewelry from outside the shop so sure that there was no glass there and BANG, my head went right into the glass. Thomas thought it was hilarious, I took off as fast as I could.

emily said...

ouch! That is pretty funny, but also not! You handled it well my friend : )

Jennifer said...

OMGoodness, you crack me up! HAHAHA! That's awesome, good on yah for laughing too!