Friday, September 03, 2010

We just "clicked"!

I had a chance to spend last weekend with Janice, from Ottawa!!! Just us girls - her boys were away camping and I left my gang to fend for themselves back in Winnipeg.

We just "clicked" - online (for many months now) and in person too!! Get it??? - Just "clicked"! Chad loves telling people that "Laura is going to meet someone she met online." He loves the reaction he gets. But for me, it was the next logical step in the friendship we have been building over the past couple years. Besides (as Rana has already assured me), who better to trust, visit, or stay with, then adoptive parents - we have all had more checks/tests/assessments than anyone else on earth - criminal, medical, child abuse, fingerprints, psychological, etc. - who could you trust more? Well, besides the fact that we are all a bit crazy, but at least we are all safe!

We spent the weekend doing LOTS of girl stuff and having LOTS of girl chats. Our conversations went something like this: adoption adoption adoption family adoption adoption adoption kids adoption adoption adoption life adoption adoption adoption shopping adoption adoption adoption books adoption adoption adoption reality TV adoption adoption adoption celebrity gossip etc... And while we chatted all weekend long...





We shopped (for our babies and ourselves)...







We went for lunch and pedicures (while drinking wine)...




We went for dinner with Amy and Lyse...

Amy recently brought her beautiful daughter home from Ethiopia and Lyse recently brought her handsome son home from South Africa. We talked and talked and talked even more about adoption - what a wealth of knowledge - I absorbed as much as I could in the few hours we had together. Thanks for everything Amy and Lyse!

I also had a chance to spend an evening with a few of Janice's closest girlfriends. What fun and what a great group of gals she has to lean on. I also met a few of her neighbors - and when we pulled up in the car next to one of her neighbors for the first time, Janice rolled down the window and her neighbor immediately said "Hi Laura!! I swear I'm not a blog stalker!" ;) It was so cute and I loved her enthusiasm.

It was ALL F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S.

I think Janice would say the same, but it was actually quite eerie how many things we had in common - style, views, interests, and life in general. Man, I wish we lived closer. Can't wait until next time...

Thanks Janice - love ya!

7 comments:

BCMommy said...

That is so awesome! I love how adoption not only brings our own families together, but it joins us with other families across the country! So glad you guys got to meet and hang out!

CLaire

Melissa said...

I made it to Afrikadeys in Calgary this summer, and was excited to potentially meet other adopters and their kidlets, but I didn't spot the crew until I was on my way out, and then just said a quick hello to Dianne and Barbara, before I got all flustered an left. I only realize how shy I am when I find myself in a crowd with a lot of people I don't really know. I think I came across as a creepy lurker. Sigh.
But both ladies were very nice to me, and I do hope that there will come a day when some of my fellow bloggers will actually become live friend-types.
Great that you got to spend some time with Janice. I actually get out to Ottawa most years and have a boy who'd fit in with hers, and have thought it might be nice to meet her in person. Glad you guys had such a fun time.

Janice said...

Awww... Love ya right back. I miss our long chats already and I still have a lot more wine to drink so you're just going to have to come back... And that's an open invitation.

You know how happy I am that you made the effort to come and see me. I'm also really sad about the fact that we live so far apart but there are definitely future visits in the works.

Claire is right, the joining of adoptive families from across the country is just so fantastic and special. I never thought I would meet someone on the internet, form a special bond with them and then meet them in person but it's just such a great network we have.... So Melissa, next time you plan on coming to Ottawa you had better let me know.

Janice

KristaR said...

I'm glad I was able to meet you briefly and see pictures of your gorgeous little boy - Janice has spoken so fondly of you for quite some time. I am amazed at the wonderful friendships that have developed because of your shared adoption journeys.

Krista (Janice's "enthusiastic" neighbour) :)

Anna said...

That's so awesome that you guys could meet and "click" so well! It's great getting together with fellow adoptive mommies. You'll have to make your next trip to Southern Ontario!
Anna

The Hattons... said...

That is so awesome!! I met with someone too that I had only met online. We did a weekend away with our kids. And yes - we get more screening than anyone so we definitely feel safe!

Dianne said...

awe - Melissa thinks I'm a lady! I'd better sit up straight...

(Melissa - you're not creepy!!!)

Glad you two had such a great time!